© 2006-09 Sundararaman Viswanathan, All Rights Reserved.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Wannabe!

Every one of us have told this kind of statement one time or the other..."I want to be a ...", "I wish I were a..." - These kind of statements are made by people irrespective of the age, caste, creed, religion, sex, socio economic status etc.,

Theory: Everybody wishes or wants to be someone else…

I have also been there and when I think back - I feel this phenomenon of Wannabe! Is quite bizarre. When the "Have not’s’ " wish for something it might sound pretty convincing, but when the "Haves" also wish for things that are easily available, I am bemused.

I presume most of you would have seen interviews of famous people. Say for example the recent Madhuri mela (festival) we had where in she gave interviews to every single channel possible as a part of her promo for Aaaja Nachle (Movie). A question that stood out was from a lass who told that she admired Madhuri and wished if she could be like her and went on to ask "What would you have been, if you were not an actress? Or what did you want to be as a child?" OK...What was she trying to arrive at? To top it all Madhuri answers, "I would have been a micro-biologist" - Huh! I can bet my bottom dollar - she would have been the most beautiful Micro biologist ever (though that might not have been the credit any micro biologist would have craved for).

Any way, what am I trying to put across is that there is no exception to the rule that someone always wants to be someone else... I guess this example is sufficient to corroborate my theory.

A couple of questions haunt me - Will this phenomenon of Wannabe! - kill aspirations and hence overall development of our human race and in turn the planet? Or is this the reason for degradation of basic human values, specifically today in the so called "third world"/"developing" countries and the developed countries in the past?

I am inclined to look the other way - Is there anyway for a lesser mortal other than attaining nirvaana, reach a state where they could be content with who they are?

A pristine and precise quote reads, "Be happy you are what you are considering all the people you could have been." Is this the mantra - I am looking for?

- Ciao

4 comments:

  1. ahem ahem... some one told this way an offshoot from another blog! and an intense discussion ;) nonetheless, its a surreal world that "we" live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice write up. recently i read something similar to this want to be. there is one more very much haunting statement we utter in life which you can ponder to write on " If I did it that way now it would be a different story " when everything is over as a past many of us carry the regret and many a times we think too bringing a regret feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is pretty natural for that thought don't you think? You think Ambani would have stopped dreaming about anything? Nope... How much ever we move forward, how much ever money we might have, how much ever girl friends we would have had, how much parties we attend to - there is always the craving for one more memorable one. That one more memorable girl friend, that one more .. That is what makes us a Wannabe someone who incidentally can be no one and yet we would be a recluse hunting for a lost dog, once he finds it he is not going to befriend it. Typical of himself, he would be off again and remember the 'wannabe feeling' didn’t exactly board the bus at Irrationality Terminus. That just happened to be the destination. So there is some history and in most cases, some logic that made sense at some point in the past and may not in the future with no consideration for the present though :-]

    I know I have written a lot. Feel free to visit my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, comparison is a big disease. It starts in the family and continues at office and at party.

    Hope we take up the concept of painting your own life drawing in an empty canvas.

    Cheers,
    Anitha

    ReplyDelete