© 2006-09 Sundararaman Viswanathan, All Rights Reserved.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Altruistic

There is no “unselfish generous deed” in this world! I didn’t say it. Joey in F.R.I.E.N.D.S says it. He proves it as well. Though comical, it was quite a statement and I definitely was hooked on to it for quite some time.

Why on earth do we have words that do not have meaning or non existent? Human brain always has this weird sense of finding things like this. Later we develop a framework for this and get people to follow/use it. Next natural step is to judge ourselves and beat people for not leading a good life! If you have not come across the phrase "unselfish generous act", how about words like "ethics" and "morals"?

This thought was sufficient for me to find out or do at least 1 unselfish generous act or ethical practice or at least a moral value. I am so obsessed now to do that one act which would prove me wrong, and vindicate rest of the human race for coining such phrases and words...

Neanderthal man killed fellow human beings to feed on / survive in their age. In the current age cannibalism is chastised...what was then acceptable is not now.

Freedom struggle: Did Mahatma fight for the freedom of our country was it an unselfish generous act? He and Millions laid down their lives for our freedom. They are called martyrs because they laid down their lives for the cause of freedom from occupying powers. Could the same be told about Osama and millions of other terrorists who are fighting the occupying forces?

NO. Definitely not. I do not want to sully the Mahatma by comparing with Osama. Hope you understand that discussion on the same plane is just for argument sake. I would like to discuss this to understand the topic of ethics, morals and altruism better.

OK, so, are jihadi's same as our freedom fighters (as the cause is noble and common, which is to get rid of their occupying forces)? Their approach was different though...Jihadis take lives of people for a cause and freedom fighters gave their lives for a cause. How on earth is this ethical/moral? I am stunted to understand this concept :-(

Recently there was a discussion between 2 senior management people (x and y), a senior member (say - z) had quit the organization and started off a venture on his own. Now there was a project in the organization he had quit and tender was floated. Tenders were evaluated and it was now between 2 companies. One was Mr.Z's and other a proven industry leader. Mr. X rejects the proposal of Mr. Z's company telling that if the contract were to be given to Mr.Z it would raise "ethical" questions as Mr.X knew Mr.Z up close. Now, this triggered a series of discussions and I brainstormed over this topic to understand if I had really found moksha at last...

Look at the situation. Mr.X believes he has done an unselfishly generous act on the other company or he that has upheld the ethical and moral values. Is it true? Would you agree to that? I initially did. But if I were to look at it from a different perspective, Mr.Z was in fact denied an opportunity by Mr.X. What was Mr.Z's fault? Is it that he happened to know Mr.X? Who is to be blamed? I gave this some more thought!

Lets take another example, ethical hacking! This is a very modern technological concept. I am again confused...Who governs what constitutes to "ethical" in hacking?

Gay marriage or way of life - we are rewriting morals even here!

So, coming back to my question, isn't ethics, morals and unselfishness surreal?

I believe concepts like these vary from generation to generation. A common book on ethics and morals need to be published probably once for every generation. Also, elders should not quote from their "code book" whilst censuring us on any of our activities, for, the moral and ethical codes might have changed!

Last time I referred the code books, I remember, it said extra marital affair was bad, has it changed? Hey, please do not misconstrue that I am trying to make a case for it...And who said I could write only about relationships ;-)

- Tata

2 comments:

  1. nice article - you could look into the aspect of writing professionally. A contradictary topic. I enjoyed reading your views

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems you were free and unoccupied this day of the year. continous post on a single day.

    ReplyDelete